Friday 29 June 2012

An Ode to the Toy Store




The past few months have forced me to take an honest look back at my career at the toy store and reflect on everything I've experienced in the past three years. At the end of August I'll be leaving the only job I've ever known since living in Vancouver, and I'm sincerely really nervous. The owner at the Granville Island Toy Company hired me pretty much as soon as I arrived in the city. Everything moved really quickly and I ended up taking charge of the Granville Island location after only two short months. I had never been in charge before and at first it was a real struggle. It's been a ruthless learning experience. 




I've had so many ups and downs at this toy store. I've taken nearly ten seminars, I've been to two toy fairs, I've quit and returned to the job nearly three times, I've completely changed around the way the store looks, I routinely post silly things on our Facebook page, I've made relationships with lots of other vendors in the Kids' Market, I've explored every toy store in the city and can honestly say that I like ours the best.  It has truly become my home away from home. I feel safe in those red walls with the old wood ceilings and the clown face painted in the windows.





 No matter how many times I feel knocked down in my work, I can never regret my time spent there. Because of the toy store I've met the love of my life, the greatest best friends I've ever known, and my second family. And we've had so much fun together! Being introduced to the world of burlesque and true girl power, exploring Vancouver and all of the beauty it has to offer, holding our breath watching the 2010 Olympics on a tiny computer screen, laughing into the wee hours of the night playing boardgames and creating crafts, marching in Slut Walk protests downtown in the rain, watching the rise and defeat of the Vancouver Canucks in the 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs, three WONDERFUL Halloweens full of amazing costumes and jack-o-lanterns and trick or treaters, lavish Christmas parties with foot massages and too much alcohol, adorable tea parties with dresses, learning how to garden, being able to go to Seattle and New York City for toy fairs, epic movie nights, playing Mortal Kombat tournaments, shuffleboard and kareoke at the Legion, meeting countless celebrities,  and just generally having so much stupid fun every single day together at the shop. I wouldn't trade it for anything.








I've had three awesome years full of meeting awesome people, but this past year has really taken the cake. Robert, Megan, Drew, Elias, Dejan, Anita, Leah, Dan, Tianna, Elissa (and Rachael!)... you're some of the most fantastic people I've ever met and I couldn't get through these past few months without you. YOU are why I love my job as much as I do. I feel like we fell into something really special. In a big way I'm glad this will be my last summer  because I really don't know if it could get any better than this (at least for me anyways). You've all helped me grow into someone I'm proud of. You pick me up and dust me off when I feel defeated, and inspire me endlessly. Thank you guys.







 Here's to a magical summer!
With stampedes of affection,
Korrina






4 comments:

  1. aweeee beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so endlessly proud of you! Cheers to old friends and a bright future!!! I adore you much!

    -Fanny

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. I'm crying (just a bit!) Thanks Korrina. :p I'm going to miss you so much! I feel the same way. I'm sorry our last summer has been cut short though(my fault). If I could change one thing, it'd be the timeline on that.
    xo

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Korrina! I stumbled upon this very randomly. It is beautifully written.

    I had a moment a few nights ago, where i walked past the toy shop on Main street with a group of very good friends. I casually mentioned "oh, i used to work there". And then, all at once, I realized that the people i was with I know BECAUSE of that toy shop in a strange way (They're people i've met through the wonderful Miss Sally)... if we were to draw of web of all the connections made it would be a complex and beautiful thing. It's tied into all of our lives more than we realize, i think.

    That moment made me stop and appreciate the time spent and friends made, as did your post.

    xx

    ReplyDelete